Are you a tourism operator? Are you using Instagram? If the answer is no, you should be! Instagram allows you reach a world wide audience and attract potential customers based solely on your content. I know that you are super busy, guests need to be checked in, repairs need to be made. The great thing about Instagram is that you can spend as much or little time on it as you like. Often times you can get great content right in your back yard! This could be a quick snap of the sunrise over the river or of a particularly delicious looking plate of food on its way out of the kitchen.
Getting Started (The Basics)
- Download the Instagram app on your mobile phone or tablet
- Choose a unique name that represents your business, follow the sign up instructions provided.
- Create your unique tagline. Describe your business is, what you do and what people can expect from your Instagram profile! Include a unique hashtag followers can use to share content with you. Double check another company isn't already using it! Ie: mine is #CreatorofAwesome
- Set up your account as a business account, this allows you to measure your reach
- Connect your account to Facebook to reach friends, family and people who already have liked your Facebook business page
- Follow accounts which are relevant to you & your business ie: DiscoverMiramichi, DestinationNB, DiscoverNewBrunswick & ExploreCanada
- Follow accounts in your niche, for example as a fly fishing lodge you may want to follow Old Town Canoes or a restaurant near by! Leave comments on their photos and often they return the favour (/follow!)
- Follow people back! This makes your followers feel appreciated and more likely to keep following you.
- Share the link to your Instagram account on your Facebook page asking for friends, family and customers to follow you.
- On your photos, use hashtags relevant to your brand for example to attract people who are interested in your product Some great tourism related hashtags that can be used for Miramichi are: #DiscoverMiramichi #ExploreNB #ExploreCanada #InstaTravel #Canada150
For a more comprehensive guide on using hashtags click here.
- If you know someone with several followers, ask them to post about your business to drive traffic to your account.
- If you make a great post, share the link across your other social media accounts! Get the link by clicking the "..." in the top right corner > share > copy link then paste to other accounts.
- Use high quality photos. I'm not talking DSLR level, but they also shouldn't look like they were taken by a 1990's film camera.
- The ideal number of posts is 5-8 weekly. Posting many consecutive posts can annoy followers and cause them to unfollow you.
- Follow a consistent strategy - is it "behind the scenes" of your business? is it people enjoying your service?
- Regularly using the same filter makes your content recognizable and consistent. Another great app for editing your photos is VSCO cam.
- Make your followers famous! By having customers use the unique hashtag you created, you can ask them if it is okay to repost their photos! When people use your hashtag interact with them ie: "Thanks for staying with us! Hope to see you guys again soon!"
- If you know someone with several followers, invite them to your business to try it out, take photos and share to their account.
- Help people know your physical location Geotag your posts by clicking "add location".